Chibok girls: Parents identify daughters in new B’Haram video.
Three mothers of schoolgirls abducted from Chibok, Borno State on April 14, 2014 said they had identified their daughters in a video released by Islamist group Boko Haram, the first possible sighting of the girls since a video in May 2014.
Reuters reported that about 15
girls featured in the video released to local officials on Tuesday,
saying they were from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok
and pleading with the Nigerian government to cooperate with Boko Haram
on their release.
The girls were filmed saying they were being treated well but wanted to go home and be with their families.
Boko Haram militants abducted 276
schoolgirls from Chibok exactly two years ago, with 57 students managing
to escape but 219 still missing despite a global campaign #BringBackOurGirls involving celebrities and the wife of the US President, Michelle Obama.
Reuters reported that mothers
Rifkatu Ayuba and Mary Ishaya said they recognised their daughters,
Saratu and Hauwa, in the video, while a third mother, Yana Galang,
identified five of the missing girls. Local officials said more
identifications were needed.
“The girls were looking very, very
well,” Galang said in a telephone interview with the Thomson Reuters
Foundation after viewing the video at a screening organised by local
officials in Maiduguri.
The three mothers were invited to the
viewing centre by the Chairman of Chibok Local Government Area, Bana
Lawan, who confirmed that he had paid their travel costs to Maiduguri.
“They were definitely our daughters …
all we want is for the government to bring back our girls,” said Galang,
adding all the girls were wearing hijab in the video.
No member of Boko Haram was visible in
the video and local officials were not immediately available to give
details on how they received the video.
“We only heard a man’s voice and saw his finger pointing at the girls one after the other,” Reuters quoted Galang as saying.
She said the girls in the video spoke in Hausa language and Kibaku, the local Chibok language.
Galang said one mother, Ayuba, was
relieved to see her daughter as she had heard a rumour shortly after the
kidnapping that her daughter had been killed by Boko Haram.
“She was very happy to see her in the video … her daughter is alive,” Galang said.
Shehu Sani urges negotiation with sect
Reacting to the new development that the
mothers identified their daughters in the new video, the senator
representing Kaduna Central and former negotiator on the release of 219
Chibok girls abducted by the Boko Haram, Sheu Sani, said the Islamic
group had no option but to agree to the negotiation on the release of
the schoolgirls.
Sani said the terrorists had lost the
ground to the military since President Muhammadu Buhari assumed office
and advised the insurgents to embrace dialogue.
The senator, who spoke in an interview
with CNN on Wednesday, said impostors among some of the negotiators had
been a challenge inhibiting a breakthrough and suggested that the
source that facilitated the release of the video should be engaged by
the government in the negotiation with the sect.
He said, “Negotiation will make it
possible for these girls to be brought back home alive. What has always
been the problem in the last few years has been the very fact there are
scam negotiators, who most times make claims and don’t deliver. And I
think this is what we must be very careful of at this time. The very
fact that we can get such a credible video from some sources and those
sources are elements that need to be utilised to be able to achieve the
goal of getting these girls out.
“When President Muhammadu Buhari took
over, a section of our country was taken over by the insurgence group.
They hosted their flags and even unleashed their version of theocratic
Islamic group. But now, with funding for the military and support by the
government, the morale is high, the military had been able to push them
back and most of the cities in the North-East are safe. Buhari has not
been able to achieve 100 per cent success but he has made serious
progress. I believe he can still achieve more. With the very fact that
now, they know clearly they cannot win militarily and the only option is
to go for other ways. There is no other way other than for them to
agree to negotiate on the release of these girls.”
The senator noted that countries like
United States and Israel had explored negotiation in similar
circumstances and urged the Federal Government to follow suit.
He said, “Negotiations have taken place
in a number of countries. There were negotiations between the Israelis
government and Hamas, which led to the release of some Israelis
soldiers; the same thing with Taliban and America brokered by Qatar. We
believe that Nigeria will take this opportunity. I believe with such a
credible video, there is light at the end of the tunnel that these girls
are alive and that very source that provided this video should be used
to get these girls out.”


No comments: